Friday, July 10, 2020

What is Jazz?




What is jazz dance?

When I was 7 years old I wanted to sign up for jazz class. I envisioned flashy lights and sparkly costumes. When I got to class and had to work hard at stretching, strengthening, isolations, kicks and turns and cardio work, I was so surprised. The dancers I had seen made it look like magic, the hard work that goes into making it looks effortless was more than I imagined. But knowing that hard work brings end goals, I went week after week and the results were magical! I loved my first recital! My first dance was to the theme form the Pink Panther with a sparkly costume, and I have never stopped!

Jazz dance is a performance dance technique and style that first emerged in the United States in the early twentieth century. There are so many styles of Jazz dance including Broadway or theatrical jazz, jazz funk, pop, modern jazz and more!  Key features of jazz dance include using feet, arm and hand positions, isolations (head, shoulders, hips), timing, shape and movements including body rolls, jazz walks, swings, turns, jumps and kicks.


I hope you enjoy watching some of DBDS’s jazz dances and to register for our 2020-2021 season,  reserve a spot at www.dancestudio-pro.com/online/dbds

YouTube Link to Jazz Dance Compilation


1 comment:

  1. Yoga inversions Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our.

    ReplyDelete